or the Port of Puntarenas
|Puntarenas Province Map|
|Coat of arms of Puntarenas|
|Puntarenas Port Map|
Besides the beach and sun, in the City of Puntarenas you can see and visit places rich in history.
- The Big Dock. It is in 1928 that began the construction of the present Big Dock, which makes loading and unloading of ships, allowing an impressive rise of trade. Currently there a large number of touristic cruises that reach the Port of Puntarenas, with the passengers going to Monteverde, Jacó, Carara National Park, San Lucas Island, Tortuga Island and other beautiful places in the Nicoya Gulf.
- Mora y Cañas Park, It is a point that keeps a lot of history, since it recalls the place where the heroes, Juan Rafael Mora Porras and José María Cañas, died.
- The Cathedral. It is also very popular, because it is one of the most religious centers that assist people in the province and it is the only Cathedral in the country which has its main entrance leading to the west.
- The House of Culture. It is a building that was once the Headquarters of the Plaza of the Civil Guard, with a section that corresponded to the city jail. In 1977 the building was transfered from the Public Security Ministry to the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports.
- Marine Park. It is newly built, modern and very welcoming to have a good time with family and especially children. It has a playground, large areas to play and a soda. Among its main attractions are the crocodiles, turtles, hundreds of marine species including octopus, sea horses and especially the enigmatic sharks.
- Lighthouse "La Punta". The construction was necessary to guide ships coming from inside the gulf. At the present time, there is the bell tower of the church of "Nuestra Señora del Carmen".
- Municipal gym. Here was located The Plaza of the Sandals and the name was given because one of the oldest families in this district wore leather shoes and named it "sandals" or "caites".
- Piers. In 1948, they began to build the jetties or piers to stop washing the beach caused by the strong tides in the area of the tip. If they had not built them, today there would be no "Paseo de los Turistas".
- The old customs. Actually theres is an educational center for higher education. Since it was declared National Heritage, the external structure can not be touched and any repairs has to be done within the limits of law. All the structure that can be seen is original work of the nineteenth century. (Source: www.puntarenas-cr.com, available on November 6, 2011).
Algunos de los ríos que surcan estas tierras son: Ario, Lagarto, Barranca, Grande de Tárcoles, Pirrís, Grande de Térraba y Conde.
La extensión territoral es de 11,277 kilómetros cuadrados y los cantones son Puntarenas, Esparza, Buenos Aires, Montes de Oro, Osa, Aguirre, Golfito, Coto Brus, Parrita, Corredores, Garabito.
|Mapa de la Provincia de Puntarenas|
|Escudo de armas|
|Mapa de la Ciudad de Puntarenas|
Si desea hacer un tour por el estero y la playa, recomendamos al Sr. Ronald Montero-Rodríguez, un guía experimentado quien reside en Puntarenas. Su conocimiento y su buen trato, hacen que el tour valga la pena. El Sr. Montero-Rodríguez puede ser localizado al siguiente número telefónico: (506)-8939-0101 o en Facebook: Ronald Montero-Rodríguez.